July 5, 2021 / Unchained Daily / Laura Shin
Daily Bits ✍️✍️✍️
- Bitcoin mining difficulty fell ~28% on Friday — the largest drop on record.
- Thailand’s SEC filed a complaint against Binance over unregistered operations.
- The Bitcoin Mining Council claims that 56% of electricity used in Bitcoin mining is sustainable.
- Cryptocurrency exchange volume was $958B in June, down from $2.18T in May.
- Marathon Digital increased its Bitcoin mining production by 17% in June.
What Do You Meme?
USDC is poppin’.
According to research from Messari’s Ryan Watkins, USDC is becoming the go-to stablecoin on Ethereum.
Data from The Block confirms the trend, with Tether’s market share hitting an all-time low of 59%.
USDC currently makes up 22.85% of the total stablecoin supply across the cryptocurrency industry, an increase of nearly 10% since January 1st.
Watkins points to USDC’s popularity in DeFi transactions as a reason for its potential boom, noting that “over 50% of the USDC supply now sit in smart contracts… and has become the preferred stablecoin in DeFi for now.”
Only about 20% of USDT sits in smart contracts.
- CoinDesk’s Chief Content Officer, Michael Casey, also on America and stablecoins:
- Dante Disparte, chief strategy officer at Circle, also on America and the digital currency race (paywall):
- Amy Wu is thinking about blockchain media (thread):
On The Pod…
why Sam is so excited to bring Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen onto the FTX team
how FTX decides on who to sponsor
why so many of FTX’s sponsorship are targeting US customers
what makes the sports industry such an attractive place to advertise for FTX
how FTX’s tokenized stocks work
what Sam learned from the GameStop/Robinhood situation
what makes FTX’s tokenized stocks different from Binance’s offering
how FTX is dealing with regulatory obstacles
what item is on the top of Sam’s regulatory wishlist
whether FTT is a security
My book, The Cryptopians: Idealism, Greed, Lies, and the Making of the First Big Cryptocurrency Craze, is now available for pre-order now.
The book, which is all about Ethereum and the 2017 ICO mania, comes out Nov. 2nd. Pre-order it today!
You can purchase it here: http://bit.ly/cryptopians